Sunday 29 July 2012

Goal Setting



Generally speaking, I would not give anyone negative feedback ever. I am not an expert on poetry, but I do however have some idea of what is required of a book to raise it to a standard that is suitable for publishing. If we were to publish your book, my main concerns are: Is there a market for it? Are you willing to promote your own work? And how much work is needed to prepare the files? Normally, the only criticism I have when publishing a book is regarding the layout and the book design, which is more or less completely redesigned during the publishing process anyway.

Is there a market for your book? Good question. It depends what your goals are. I think if an author is enthusiastic and believes in their own work, and is willing to conduct there own market research (organise book singings, book fairs, have an online presence, arrange interviews, etc.) then most books have the potential to be worthwhile projects.
 
Try to focus on your goals and what you would like to achieve in regards to publishing, rather than letting your emotions (which may or may not be true) get in the way and prejudice your judgment.. At the moment I am mainly looking at literary work from a publishing point-of-view.
 
To help you focus, you could ask yourself the following questions: How much do I want this book published? How committed am I to seeing the process through to completion? Am I flexible about the design? And am I willing to promote my own title?
 
These questions might help you make an informed decision when it comes to making a commitment and actually making an investment towards publishing your book.


Good luck with your project. I look forward to hearing from you soon,
 
 
 
 

Matt Blythe,
Inner Vision Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment